Old Penwithians Reunion 2013
There was an excellent turn out of old boys and former staff of the Penzance County and Humphry Davy Grammar School for their annual reunion at the Queens Hotel on 29th December. Once again, in spite of a hip replacement earlier in the year, the oldest old boy present was Dr. Arnold ‘Derry’ Derrington of the 1933 entry who was accompanied by his son David 1957. There were a few new faces as well, including brothers Kevan and Michael Summerlee who were at the school in the mid nineteen sixties and were visiting from New Zealand, Des Nicholls from 1944, Robin Hall 1958 and Charles Upton 1948. There were also three former members of staff; Bill Burnett, Malcolm Rudlin and Bob Conybeare.
Some of the earliest photos of pupils and staff from the spring of 1911 and 1912, which had been found by Chris Semmens in his attic, were displayed along with photographs showing the work carried out to refurbish the Old Penwithians War Memorial at the school.
Association Secretary Andrew Coak thanked everyone for attending, especially those who had provided prizes for the raffle held during the evening and realising £205.90. He also announced that there would be a ceremony to rededicate the Old Penwithians War Memorial in 2014 to coincide with events to commemorate the Centenary of the First World War. The 1911 and 1912 photographs would be displayed again at the rededication of the memorial as many of the staff and pupils in the photographs were also recorded on the Roll of Honour on the memorial. It was hoped that details of this event would be announced in The Cornishman nearer the date. He asked that anyone wishing to have details should let him have their e-mail address and he would then be able to give advanced notice. The evening ended with Stuart Guppy once again ably accompanying the traditional hearty rendering of the School Song.