Issue 8 (2003)

New Penwithian Issue 8 (2003)

Secretary’s Smidgin

The year 2003 finally saw the publishing of the second edition of ‘Three Score Years and Ten’.  It took nearly 7 years to get there and we are grateful to all those members who contributed and who waited so patiently for their copy.
We have now sold over 250 copies of the second edition but we still have 250 to go. Mr Rising wrote to say how ‘thrilled’ he was to get his copy and if you have not got your copy yet, details of how to get one from me by post can be found on page 8 Alternatively they can be bought from Penzance Bookshop in Chapel Street or Books Plus in Market Jew Street.
Over 120 members of the Association responded to our proposal to become life members, but we would like everyone to become one. Jf you have not done so, an application form is attached for those who have not yet enrolled. Remember if you do not enrol you will not get the New Penwithian next year.
Reminiscing seems to be the order of the day and John Bottle’s article will bring back a few memories. The photograph sent in by Bob Murrish of the playing fields is also a bit of history and if anyone else out there has such personal photographs we would be delighted to include them in future editions.
The BBQ organised at the North Inn in August was a bit of a disappointment, to say the least. Only eight OPAs turned up. Fortunately we had a good response from the North Inn camp-site for the hamburgers etc and we were able to put £49 in the Association coffers.
Once again we are grateful to those who have contributed to the newsletter and our loyal advertisers whose income does help us to defray the costs of production.


2002 Reunion

The Old School Tie was to the fore at the Reunion at the Queen’s Hotel on the 29th December last year. Nearly 60 old boys and staff turned up to what has now become an annual event.
One old boy, Phil Knight, even managed to find his old PGS red school cap and had to be reprimanded for wearing it inside the building. Some had travelled from London, Cambridge and Kent to attend the reunion and were able to wander down memory lane for a couple of hours looking at old photographs and other memorabilia that members had brought with them.
The main feature of the evening was the final look at the reprint of ‘Three Score Years and Ten’, the School History originally written by Ben Batten and Lawrence James, before it went to the printers at Easter.
Amongst the old boys were two groups of father and son, Dr Arnold Derrington from Pendeen, who joined the School in 1933, was with his son David (1957) and Crispin Clemence from Newlyn, a pupil in 1940, was with his son Roger (1965). There was also a nucleus of eight old boys from the 1952 entry celebrating their ’50 years on including Stuart Guppy, who organised the get together for his year, and John Coak the Association Chairman.
The evening ended with a rousing rendition of the School song with some fine piano accompaniment from Dr Nick Marston who is now a music Tutor at Cambridge University.
Our thanks to Mike Hunter, who had supplied a number of crib sheets for the few who may have forgotten the words. The strains of ‘God be with you till we meet again’ were also heard as members departed.
A list of those who attended is given in the next column:
John Coak, Andrew Coak, Phil Dennis, Bill Burnett, John Richards, Paul Tyreman, Stuart Guppy, L Morley Hosken, Keith Parsons, Stephen Sindall, Crispin Clemence, Roger Clemence, Derek Polgrean, Malcolm Rudlin, Roy Nicholls, Mike Hunter, lain Vosper, Julian Keen, Patrick Dunn, Donald Ruhrman, Roger Harding, David Worledge, Bryan Cuddy, Martin Harris, Paul Taylor, Nigel Jelbart, Frank Rowley, Howard Curnow, Andrew Newport, Arnold Derrington, David Derrington, Peter Keast, Roger Cargeeg, Terry Drew, Kevin Marston, Des Hosken, Terry Johns, Philip Knight, Roger Grose, Tony Jasper, David Rowe, Des Astin, Justus Hattam, Danny Beard, John Harper, Geoff Edwards, Nigel Wood, John Farrar, John Daniel, Nicholas Marston, Mike Sagar Fenton, Jamie Dunn, Juron Smith.
Do not forget to join us this year on Monday 29th December in the Queens and bring some memories or mementoes with you to share.


On reading his reprint of ‘Three Score Years and Ten’ Mike Hunter (44) has highlighted a couple of points.
He can remember that some time during his time at school PCS became PCGS. He cannot remember the year but it seems that it was 1947 or earlier as the School Photograph of June of that year is titled COUNTY GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR BOYS. No mention is made of the change in TSYT although it does record the advent of HDGS in 1960. Does anyone know when or how the change from PCS to PCGS occurred?
He also asks why do not all the school admission numbers printed in the back of the book have names against them. He comes up with some ideas; expulsion, per-sonae non gratae, records lost or illegible. Does anyone know the answer?
Drop a line, if you do, to the Secretary and we will publish the findings in the next New Penwithian.

Revised Caption From Last Edition

Thanks to the efforts of Brian Blackler and Donald Ruhrmund for correcting and filling in the missing names from Form 3Beta, 1961/62.

Back row: M. Ridge, M. C. Richards, D. Perry, C. Paull (dec’d), J. Tunmore, Mitchell, J. Smith, D. Ruhrmund, J. Richards, P. Madams, Rickard.
Middle: M. Reynolds, Rule, F. Rowley, R. Harding, C. Williams.
Front: Tutthill, Phillips, Thomas, Stevens, J. Williams.
Very front: Avery, R. Nicholls, J. Woolcock, J. Matthews, D. Griffin

Where Are They Now?

‘By Memories Chain We Linked Remain’
The reprint of ‘Three Score Years and Ten’ and our drive to attract Life Members have generated much of the correspondence this year and to mention everyone in this column would take up far too much space. There is no doubt that the reprint has revitalised the interest in the Association.
My first contact after the distribution of the New Penwithian 2002 was a phone call from Bob Swanson (38) of Newlyn who, having been been passed a copy of the NP by Brian Blackler (Staff), wanted to track down Egbert Jenkin who had been mentioned in ‘Where are They Now’. Brian also helped in the naming of the members of form 3B, he was the form master and had checked some old mark sheets. However, it was Don Ruhrmund who sent in a complete list and the photo, showing all the names, is on page 2. I am also grateful to Don for being the first to pick up a couple of corrections for the next reprint of ‘Three Score Year and Ten’. One worth mentioning is that the 1961 U13 XI features Mike Ruhrmund when it should be him. He points out that Mike never attended HDGS.
Crispin Clemence (37) originally from Hayle but now living in Newlyn also wrote in asking about details of his sons’ school numbers. He also produced two copies of school photographs of his era. See them at the next Reunion.
Geoff Loten (31) wrote to say how he was taken back to the 1930’s by the picture of the gymnasium when he and a number of other boys, mainly from Penzance, spent part of their summer holidays digging out the foundations – one or two even managed, unofficially, to drive the old Ford truck.
Nic De Niet (54) wrote from Caterham with a donation towards the reprint and to say how much he enjoyed the newsletter. I mentioned this to Martin Tutthil (54) on one of his visits and he also recalled quite a few tales concerning Nic some of which I cannot print, but he did confirm that it was ATC Cadet De Niet who tried to ‘bomb’ Fred Jarvis with a piano in the ATC building. I am sure the mention of Fred Jarvis and the ATC will bring back a few memories.
I am also grateful to Bob Murrish (44) who wrote from Delabole with a copy of an old personal photograph of some horseplay on the school field circa 1945. He also recalls travelling on the Western National bus from St Just with his brother Gerald (42), disembarking at the drive to the Girls’ GS.
We do get quite a number of old boys coming through the doors of the North Inn. John Daniel (52) called in. We did not recognise him at first and it was only when I prompted brother John, that he was a St Just old boy and was much larger when at School that he remembered who it was. John is now a vet in North Devon.
“Well my ‘ansome, a voice from the past” was the salutation on the note from Phil Potter (56) (Headboy 1964/65). He recalled a recent reunion with Mike Williams and threatens to make a pilgrimage to Pendeen. From the same era we also were pleased to see Danny Hall (56) and his wife and some friends. Danny is living in Henley and a pilot with BA. We also saw Des (56) and Ann Nicholls ex Royal Navy and living in Helford. Roy Nicholls (59) has popped in a couple of times although living and working in Tonbridge, Kent he is a regular visitor to Penzance. One of his visits was to drop off the padded envelopes for sending out the reprint of ‘Three Score Year and Ten’. Thank you once again Roy. Roy also brought news of Graham Pearce (47) who worked at Goonhilly Earth Satellite Station and moved to Maidstone in 1966. Graham has been Membership Secretary of London Cornish since 1994.
Roger (44) and Wendy Sleap called for lunch at the pub. He is still working in Somerset for Sport England and is particularly involved with the coaching of handicapped sports people. We also have seen John (43) and Jill Harper who on one visit was accompanied by Colin Kempthorne (43). Colin had brought with him some of the old photos from their era. Another visit, which has generated an article, was that of Brian Toms, Arthur Hosken, Peter (Fishy) Salmon (all 52). They had come along in June to meet up with the other member of the group John Coak to celebrate their kitchen sink fund raising walk in 1960. Article and photographs can be found on page 6 .
In June I also received a long letter from Brett Harvey (55). Brett retired from the Devon and Cornwall Police in 1993 and then spent six years involved with Police Aviation Services running their training school. He is threatening to come to the Reunion this year! See him in the 1962 First XI on page 7.
The Old Penwithians article in the Cornishman in July prompted Lionel Dunn (51) to write asking how he could join the Association. He recalled how as one of the Hayle boys he used to come to school by train and have to run up through the town trying to get to school in time for assembly. Lionel has now retired back to Hayle.
Talking of Hayle, one request for a book came from Mrs Sybil Petters, widow of Tom Petters (15/Staff), she is still fit and well.
Mike Hunter in one of his letters raised a very interesting point, which I admit had already occurred to me. It involves the change in names of the School. His question has been highlighted on page 2 can anyone throw more light?
Bob Quixley (Staff) and Sylvia and various members of the Quixley clan regularly visit and it was Bob who brought to our attention the achievements of Alexander Halliday (68). His article on Alex and the honour of becoming a Fellow of the Royal Society is on page 5.
The 2001 copy of the New Penwithian prompted Keith Mollard to write from Derriford, Plymouth asking tor a book and taking out Life Membership. He also enclosed a copy of the interesting booklet that he had produced for the ’47 Reunion held a few years ago and volunteered to continue as the ’47 year representative.
Another face from the past was Tom Hill (54). Tom has now bought a house in St Just but continues as the Baptist Minister in Boreham Wood.
I welcome letters from Old Boys with their news, so please drop me a line so that I can include you in this column.
On a more sombre note if you do hear of the death of an Old Boy please let me know.


Reminiscences of School Days

I joined Penzance Grammar School in 1945 in the 3rd form, having transferred from Redruth County School, when the family moved to the Penzance area. At first we lived in Ninnis near Newmill and for the first year or so I cycled in all weathers to and from school down the Bone Valley road to Heamoor. I found that by racing at top speed initially, I could freewheel all the way right into Heamoor. My bicycle was very tatty with no mudguards, no lights and no doubt poor brakes. With hindsight I am now amazed that I had no serious accident riding down that narrow, winding and often wet and muddy road. What the state of my clothes must have been with all the mud spattering, I dread to think.
It was in the immediate aftermath of the war and cars of any sort were quite a luxury, but Mr. Murray the French master used to sweep into the parking area in the front of the school, driving an American ‘gangster’ type of car. I think it was a Hudson Terraplane: it was all black of course and just like we used to see on the films where the ‘hoods’ would arrive with their guns at the ready. We were all deeply impressed.
School life in those days seems to have been very civilised. We removed our caps when going indoors, stepped off the pavement for adults and would never swear in public or in school (audibly!). A reference to A. J. Oates in the December 2002 Newsletter reminds me of one of the few occasions when ‘swearing’ was permitted and enjoyed. J feel sure that A. J. Oates must be the Titus Oates who was in my form (Hello, Titus!); we were doing a class reading, or perhaps a rehearsal, of The Merchant of Venice and Titus was reading the Prince of Morocco’s part where he says “Oh! Hell, what have we here?” The glee and emphasis with which Titus read that remains with me to this day. Mr. Wood was the English master and really excellent he was too.
To the quotation “Alas, alas! I am undone!” he would usually add: “Then pray do yourself up, sir”, which always seemed wonderfully risque coming from a school-master.
I am not sure how they did it, but the school staff must have influenced us in ways that do not seem to be the case nowadays (I am trying hard not to say “Things are not what they used to be”!). There was no television but I remember that we enjoyed radio plays and music that would today be considered difficult. I suspect that much of the interest originated in the school.
Mr. Murray (French) was a very good teacher and by the time we were in the 5th form he had a fine rapport with us. I remember in particular that there was a sort of competition between him and Peter Ellery, scoring points off each other. Peter was a remarkable artist and would dash off caricatures on the blackboard, or anywhere, with just a few lines. However, no matter what the cartoon said, Mr. Murray was always ready with a clever response to turn the tables. One of the class was ‘Biscuits’ Lawton and from time to time Mr. Murray threatened some broken biscuits.
There was a lovely atmosphere in that 5th form because the natural rivalry between boys and staff seemed always to be conducted with courtesy and respect for each other. One occasion when we may have overstepped the mark only served to demonstrate to us how wise the staff were. It was a Scripture lesson being conducted by Mrs. Sibson, one of the few women teachers in the school. We were taking turns to read passages from the Bible. There was a reference to ‘circumscribed’ or some such word, which one wag deliberately misread as ‘circumcised’. Everyone knew that Mrs. Sibson, being the only woman facing a classroom of 15 year-old boys, would pretend that she had not heard it, and we would have won that one. To our surprise she immediately stopped the speaker and said: “That was not a very gentlemanly thing to do was it?” Of course he agreed and apologised. Mrs. Sibson had won that round without having to raise her voice and we had all learned a bit more of life.
Another time when I learned something of the niceties of life involved Mrs. Petters, wife of Tom the Physics master. The staff used to have their cups of tea brought to them in their common-room by us boys. Once I overheard Mrs. Petters politely refusing a cup of tea on the grounds that there were signs of tea in the saucer. She said that it was likely that the boy had spilled some tea into the saucer and had poured it back into the cup just before delivering it to her. Since he had probably been carrying the saucer with his thumb inside the saucer, this meant that the washings of his thumb had been put into her tea! No thank you!
Tom Petters had a short temper, a shock of white hair and had a look of permanent surprise. These may have been something to do with the favourite toy, the Wimshurst machine which generated spectacular electric sparks and which we were always keen to wind energetically. Pinned on his laboratory door for a while was the sign: “Mot’s Mosque. Frogs dissected daily.” Early in my school days he was supervising the school-dinners, saw that I was using my knife and fork in the ‘wrong’ hands and made me change over. I was mortified of course, but learned from his care and attention.
‘Pop’ Wightman taught Geography and was a fund of common sense. He was widely-travelled and was able to describe features like glacial valleys and oxbow lakes from practical knowledge. Pop was almost bald and I remember in one of the occasional school concerts the pupil compere telling the story of two flies walking across Pop’s bald pate: Grandpa fly says to grandson fly: “I can remember when this broad plain was just a footpath.” No doubt he had heard it many times, but Pop laughed as much as anyone. I wonder what became of that nice 3-d contoured map of West Penwith which used to live in Pop’s Geography room?
Talking of school concerts: I think it was one of these when the school Caretaker (Mr. Styles?) was one of the turns, reciting: “The Green Eye of the Little Yellow God”. In my memory he is a tall dark angular figure with a pronounced London accent and we wondered what to expect, after all he was ‘only’ the caretaker. His performance, though, seemed to me to be magnificent – telling an exciting adventure/love story in an exaggerated London accent and with much over-acting. Just right for an audience of boys and maybe we gained a little more wisdom from his performance.
I was useless at all forms of athletics and sport, but loved cross-country running. I remember the elation when running down Treneere, knowing that the ‘stitch’ would end before the houses did, over the stream, up the bumpy lane and flying across the fields to Trevaylor. It all seemed so effortless (perhaps because I did not put much effort into it!) and even at that age I was aware of how lovely the air and scenery were. I wonder whether children nowadays have that freedom which we enjoyed, courtesy of the common-sense of the general populace?
Recently, a number of us attempted to identify the faces in the 1947 School Photograph,which was quite interesting. We managed to put names to about 75% of them, although some were doubtful. I have deposited a copy of the results with Cornwall Record Office, Truro.


In Memoriam


It is with sadness that we record the death of Frank James Lennox Green at the age of 87. Born and bred at Great BosuOow, where he farmed for many years, Lennox Green was educated at West Cornwall College and was an Old Boy of Penzance County School for Boys. He was a prominent farmer in Penwith and was instrumental in getting the Young Farmers’ Clubs at Madron, Nancledra and St Buryan off the ground.A member of the Cornwall Executive Committee and Chairman of Penzance Branch of the NFU, he was also a director of Cornwall Farmers Ltd.
A staunch Methodist, a local preacher for 64 years, he also found the time and energy to serve on Cornwall County Council and on Madron Parish Council, to be a governor of several local schools, to be a Cornish Bard, ‘Man of Bosullow’ and to serve on all manner of other committees.
Multi-talented, one who lived as he preached, a kind and truly gentle man in every sense, Lennox will be greatly missed by the local community.


Aubrey Thomas, a Fleet Street journalist for more than 40 years, died aged 77.
Aubrey, who retained a lifelong pride in his Cornish roots, came from Hayle and after Penzance Grammar School his ambition was to go to sea like his father. It was wartime and Aubrey applied to join the Navy, but failed the medical. So, forced to remain on dry land, he gave journalism a go.
To begin with, he worked for free at the ‘Cornishman’ but bosses rapidly discovered his value and decided to pay him – 10 shillings a week.
A reporting job at the ‘Western Morning News’ in Plymouth took him a small step closer to the capital, but it was in the London office of the Bristol United Press that Aubrey got his first taste of Fleet Street.
After an interlude in Sydney, Aubrey returned to the ‘Street’ and subbing jobs on the ‘Daily Mail’ and ‘Daily Mirror’. While at the Mirror, he was asked to take on the Rex North column when North fell ill. It was on a job for that column in paris that Aubrey met the Mirror’s long-time man there, Peter Stephens.
Stephens had been looking for a number two and asked Hugh Cudlipp to give Aubrey the job. He was summoned by the great man, who liked him enough to send him over to France for the next two years as the Mirror’s second Paris correspondent.
After his return to Holborn Circus, Aubrey became chief sub of the ‘Sunday Mirror’.
Aubrey was always the life and soul of the party and like many news papermen of his generation knew the insides of most Fleet Street pubs. His wife, Pat, was resigned to regular drives to countryside stations in Kent on Saturday nights after he fell asleep and forgot to wake up in time to get off at Bickley in South London.
Aubrey leaves a widow, Pat, to whom he was married for 54 years and a daughter Jenny, who lives in Paris with her family.

Fellows of the Royal Society

How many former pupils of the School have been elected FRS? The name Humphry Davy comes readily to mind, Davy having received the Honour in 1803. Another Penzance man, Davies Gilbert was also elected a Fellow of the Royal Society early in the nineteenth century and both men later became President of the Royal Society.
However there is now a third name on the list, Professor A N Halliday who was honoured in July 2000. Alexander Halliday joined the School Sixth Form during the years 1968 to 1970 having already attended the ‘lunchtime Geology option’ at HDGS while a pupil at Lescudjack School.
After graduating at Newcastle University with a BSc (Hons) in Geology he progressed to his PhD, his research being in the field of Isotope geology and Radio-metric dating. There followed several years of research and teaching at Glasgow University, until 1986 when he was appointed Professor at Michigan University, USA. In 1988 he was appointed Professor at the Institute of Science and Technology in Zurich, still specialising in Isotope Geology. In 2003 he was also awarded the Murchison Medal by the Geological Society of London in recognition of his continued work in this branch of science. In his response citation for the 2003 Murchison Medal Alex Halliday acknowledged the early influences on his life and work:
“My being honoured with the Murchison Medal is an outcome of a long series of influences in my life. First among these was my teacher Bob Quixley at the Humphry Davy Grammar School Penzance, who cultivated enthusiasm for Geology in several would be earth scientists.”


Floats Business on Stock Market

An exiled Cornishman whose career has been inspired by the county’s rich mining history has just floated his firm on the stock market.
Colin Loosemore, managing director of Archipelago Resources Pic, hails from Zennor but has spent most of his 30-year career in the Australian minerals sector.
The firm – which specialises in gold mining, particularly in South East Asia – open on the Alternative Investment market (AIM), the London Stock Exchange’s global market for smaller, growing companies. The company had 48.5 million shares on issue and at its start price of 20 pence per share, was valued at £8 million on the first day of trading.
The decision to float came on the back of the revival of the gold price and renewed interest in gold stock over the past 18 months.
Coiin said his career path had been heavily influenced by his Cornish upbringing. Born in the parish of Zennor, Colin was educated at the Humphry Davy Grammar School before leaving the far south west to study.
He said: “My interest in mining really began in Cornwall. My interest really grew from tin mining and copper mining. The library at Humphry Davy had a very specialist section on geology and I went on to do that at university. It helped to open up a career for me which might not have happened.”
After college, he emigrated to Australia and – after studying for a masters degree in the field – began a long career in the mining industry.
Colin, 53, was responsible for the discovery and development of three gold mines in Western Australia which were among the first new generation open pit projects on which the revival of the state’s near-dormant gold industry was founded in the mid-1980s. He subsequently teamed up with former London market favourite Brancote Holdings before setting up Archipelago 18 months ago.
The new mining business has acquired a substantial gold project in Indonesia on which previous owners spent over 55 million US dollars before withdrawing in 1999.

“And the Kitchen Sink”— Then and Now

Then – In April 1960 five School Prefects [Michael Mudge, Brian Toms, Arthur Hosken, Peter Salmon and John Coak] set off from Penzance Town Hall to push a kitchen sink, complete with taps and fitted on a pair of old pram wheels, around Cornwall to raise money for World Refugee Year. The journey took them from Penzance through Helston, Falmouth, Truro, St Austell, Bodmin, Wadebridge, Newquay, Redruth, Camborne and St Ives and, to add to the originality, they survived on tea and pasties, which were provided by well-wishers on the way. The sink acted as a receptacle for the collected money and the money collected in each town or area was donated to the Refugee fund for each respective authority.
It was reported in the Western Morning News that the Headmaster Mr Craske Rising had given permission for John Coak to grow a beard to take part in a play in the previous term. Mr Rising said: “We didn’t think he would be able to grow it in time, but he did. It will have to come off next term as we have a master here with a black beard and we can’t have any competition about it.”
Now – During the Summer a small Reunion occurred at the North Inn when Arthur Hosken, Brian Toms, John Coak, still with beard, and Peter Salmon, ‘The Kitchen Sink Boys’, met up after 43 years for a reminisce and a chat.
Sadly Michael Mudge is no longer with us.

70th Wedding Anniversary Celebrated

A unique celebration took place in Penzance back in July when two of the town’s oldest residents celebrated 70 years of marriage!
Tommy and Tean Rising of St Mary’s Close, Penzance, were married at 8am in the morning on July 28,1933 at Crossbill, Derbyshire. Mr Rising, who has already celebrated his 97th birthday this year, and Mrs Rising, a mere 93 years-young, are both well known characters in Penzance. For many years, Mr Rising was headmaster at Penzance Grammar School for Boys and the Humphry Davy Grammar School, supported through the decades by his wife.
Mr Rising’s teaching career took the couple to many parts of the world, beginning a love of travel for both of them, which has lasted a lifetime. Their travels began with their honeymoon to Scotland, staying on route in a village in Yorkshire called “Paradise!” The couple later pawned some of their wedding presents and Mr Rising’s many swimming trophies to buy new ski-shoes in order to go on a skiing trip! Later the couple spent a year in Australia and Tasmania, where they made headline news after canoeing through unmapped territory.
When war broke out they were aboard ship in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and narrowly missed death when their ship was the only one of a convoy of 11 vessels that wasn’t sunk before reaching port.
In 1945 Mr Rising became headmaster at Penzance Grammar School for Boys, turning it into the “best grammar school in England.” Following on from this success he was loaned to the army and became headmaster of the army school in Singapore from 1957 to 1959. During this period, Mrs Rising opened her own school for abandoned street children in Singapore, creating a home and teaching facilities for them in a room in a local hospital. And the couple were able to continue their love of travelling and explored the whole of South East Asia.
On returning to Penzance in 1959, Mr Rising stayed at the helm of the grammar school until his retirement in 1971. Since retiring the couple have travelled around the world, often in their faithful VW camper van.
They have many stories to tell, some of which have been included in around 200 short-stories that Mr Rising has compiled over the years. On Mr Rising’s 70th birthday, the couple met the Dalai Lama, whilst driving across India, another time they inadvertendy spent the night in a bandit’s camp in the North of Turkey, being served breakfast in the morning by the outlaws!
During their retirement the couple have driven across some of the world’s deserts, through scarcely visited countries such as Afghanistan and across most of the world’s continents. They even had a swim in the Antarctic!
And their secret for a long and fulfilled life? “Working together and keeping an interest in life,” agree the couple. Said Mrs Rising: “We don’t quarrel, we just have serious talks at times!”
The couple celebrated their very special anniversary by keeping open house for friends, ‘old boys’ of Penzance Grammar School, and neighbours.